Poignant Blurs

Creativity Works

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florida, United States

"Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark, in the hopeless swamps of the approximate, the not-quite, the not-yet, the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish in lonely frustration for the life you deserved, but have never been able to reach. Check your road and the nature of your battle. The world you desired can be won. It exists, it is real, it is possible, it is yours." - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Harmony

They say that music tames the wild beast, but I have seen it enrage the tamed. I think that when they look back on my generation they will see that we had a penchant for "anger music". For a generation dubbed "apathetic" that tells you a thing or two. Think about how we were, teens pre-9/11, not able to conceptualize the strange state of the world. As a friend once said, "tamed, but not taken". I remember being at concerts, the mosh pits, the violence. It was something we needed, an outlet.

Music tames (or enrages) the beast because it speaks to the beast. Music captures that rare dynamic, as all art does, but music does it in some profoundly different way, an interactive way.

For example, after reading a particularly moving book, it would be inappropriate to go smashing about your house or neighborhood, displaying those deep feelings, wouldn't it? Same with a particularly moving painting. But music, music is raw. Music is action. At a concert, you may walk away with a black eye like it's a souvenier. You may hug a stranger. You just don't know.

Music is physically expressive. It can be profoundly sexual. It can be intoxicating.

I once auditioned for a show VH1 had planned to run (but never did) on music lovers. Asked to define what music meant to me I was stumped. "It's the soundtrack to my life" I answered. "One song can bring me back ten years, or transport me forward, or carry me through". I couldn't see how anyone could answer the question any differently.

Mosh Pits will be a thing of my generation, and I like that. Mosh Pits have a dynamic, and back when, there used to be an etiquette to it. A joint sharing of pain with the unspoken agreement to back off if one person got overwhelmed. These days I see more violence in them, but I think it's a statement almost, of how tamed and stilted we feel. Of how much NEEDS to get out.

These days everything is a media sensation. You'd wonder how it's possible there was anything left to say. but the more we are talked at, the more we want to plug our ears and close our eyes and the more we need to say what we want to say.

Everyone just wants to be heard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home