Poignant Blurs

Creativity Works

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florida, United States

"Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark, in the hopeless swamps of the approximate, the not-quite, the not-yet, the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish in lonely frustration for the life you deserved, but have never been able to reach. Check your road and the nature of your battle. The world you desired can be won. It exists, it is real, it is possible, it is yours." - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Outrage

I always thought that America was the most beautiful idea in the world. What it stands for, the foundations it was built upon, the great men who used reason and intellect to overcome the tyranny that darkens most if not all of history. "The land of the free and the home of the brave". Where are those men now, and what is being done to their legacy?
After 9/11 I had to stop watching the news, in fact I had to stop watching TV. It sickened me, watching it, seeing our pitiful reaction. I am proud to be an American, and I still love our country, but she is like a desperately ill sister, and sometimes, I just can't watch.
The illness that creeps through her body is dementia, a chemical imbalance inherited from generations of mysticism and brutality. Carried like a recessive gene through the years, she has grown weary even of herself. She has delusions alternately of grandeur and of despair. She is caught in a bipolar spin out. She is raving of gods and worshipping every form of life but her own. She raises her children in a culture of death and they shoot guns in protest at the life that was taken from them before it could begin. She wants to medicate them all, as she has sedated herself. I think if she would just wake up, just take one good long look in the mirror, and stop running so fast from everything that is good in her, she would see how beautiful and worthy she is, and she would be free again. I know she'll get better, she'll come around, because this sort of madness can't go on forever.
There are still great men and women, and they are gaining stregnth and courage, but they are the few, and the far between. It is they who are the mirror, who reflect the beauty, and who must guide her to the truth again.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Beth said...

If you are coming by from 50 words-I picked Figuratively Speaking. I forgot to menion it in my submission comment

8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home